|Day 8: 4.11.17 (6B pencil, stabilo pencil, gesso, white marker, digital remix)|
Everyone is in the best seat. - John Cage
I am participating in the #100DayProject Creativity and have completed the first week. Each day for no more than 20 minutes I compose a face. I want to study faces and figured that drawing or painting one each day might help me to see differently and to take more chances. Somedays I sketch, mostly I paint, and eventually I imagine that I will collage and photograph. I sometimes alter the images made slightly (or a lot depending on my mood) digitally.
I have been learning as I compose each day--about drawing and painting faces and more. Felix Scheinger in Urban Watercolor Sketching: A Guide to Drawing, Painting, and Storytelling writes, "All too often we paint things only as we imagine them to be and not as we experience them from observation"(Kindle Locations 829-830). I think about the truth of that statement and how it can also be true in other life situations. Want is a powerful force--as is studying and seeing more objectively.
Some thoughts as I continue in this project:
- Isolating sections of a face and naming the shape helps me to better draw.
- Small adjustments to a line or shadow can make large differences.
- Sometimes my hand just does not want to cooperate.
- Constraint, such as time, pushes me to finish a work.
- Posting a work each day is brave.
- A 100 day study feels like an indulgence.
- I enjoy playing with many styles and have yet to cultivate my own signature. I wonder if I will.
- I love composing with ink, pencil, paint and words.
I have been posting the image, date, media on a separate page on my blog. The first week of images are below.
|Day 1: 4.5.17. (Stabilo pencil, acrylic paint, sharpie paint marker white)|
|Day 2: 4.6.17 (Stabilo pencil, watercolor, ink, on watercolor paper)|
|Day 3: 4.7.17 (pencil, watercolor, gesso, digital remix, newspaper)|
|Day 4: (Acrylic paint, stabilo pencil, white marker)|
|Day 5: (4.9.17, stabilo pencil, watercolor on piece |
of deli paper - I had wiped paint on it)
|Day 6: (4.10.17, gesso, acrylic paint, pencil, stabilo pencil, digital remix)|
|Day 7: (4.11.17, watercolor, pencil, stabilo pencil, digital remix)|