These books on community gardening and farming focus on the social, economic, and practical aspects. I have arranged them by suggested grade level.
PreKindergarten and Kindergarten
- Ayres, Katherine. (2008). Up, Down and Around. Illustrated by Nadine Bernard Westcott. Somerville, MA: Candlewick. (290L)
- Falwell, Cathryn. (2019). Rainbow Stew. New York: Lee & Low Books. (540L)
- Hooks, Gwendolyn. (2018). The Garden: Confetti Kids. Illustrated by Shirley Ng-Benitez. New York: Lee & Low Books. (level I/16)
- Lottridge,Celia Barker. (2012). One Watermelon Seed. Illustrated by Karen Patkau. Tornoto, ON: Fitzhenry and Whiteside. (Counting book)
- McQuinn, Anna. (2017). Lola Plants a Garden. Illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge. (470L)
- Mullen, Diance C. (2020). One Little Lot: The 1-2-3s of an Urban Garden. Illustrated by Oriol Vidal. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge. (Counting Book)
- Murray, Diana. (2020). Goodnight Vegies. Illustrated by Zachariah OHora. New York: HMH Books for Young Readers. (460L)
- Rockwell, Lizzy. (2015). Plants Feed Me. New York: Holiday House.
- Root, Phyllis. (2017). Anywhere Farm. G. Brian Karas. Somerville, MA: Candlewick Press.
- Scanlon, Liz Garton. (2020). Thank You, Garden. Illustrated by Simone Shin. New York: Beach Lane Books. (240L)
- Brisson, Pat. (2018). Before We Eat: From Farm to Table. Illustrated by Mary Azarian. Thomaston, ME: Tilbury House Publishers. (610L)
- Brisson, Pat. (2000). Wanda’s Roses. Illustrated by Maryann Cocca-Leffler. Honesdale, PA: Boyds Mills Press. (640L)
- Contreras, Kathleen. (2018).Harvesting Friends / Cosechando Amigos. Illustrated by Gary Undercuffler. Flagstaff, AZ: Piñata Books. (710L)
- DiSalvo-Ryan, DyAnne. (2019). City Green. New York: HarperCollins. (570L)
- Flemming, Candace. (2002). Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! Illustrated by G. Brian Karas.New York: Atheneum Books for Young Readers. (560L)
- Gibbons, Gail. (1991). From Seed to Plant. New York: Holiday House. (560L)
- Hillery, Tony. (2020). Harlem Grown: How One Big Idea Transformed a Neighborhood. Illustrated by Jesse Hartland. New York: Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books.
- Incao, Denise A. (2019). Nos Gusta Cultivar Nuestros Alimentos / We Like to Grow Our Food. Illustrated by Valentina Jaskina. Chino Valley, AZ: Kalindi Press.
- Martin, Jacqueline Briggs and Will Allen. (2016). Farmer Will Allen and the Growing Table. Illustrated by Eric-Shabazz Larkin. San Francisco, CA: Readers to Eaters. (620L)
- McKanna, Tim. In a Garden. Illustrated by Aimée Sicuro. New York: Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books. (770L)
- Ancona, George. (2015). It's Our Garden: From Seeds to Harvest in a School's Garden. Somerville, MA: Somerset. (910L)
- Ancona, George. (2016). Nuestro huerto: De la semilla a la cosecha en el huerto del colegio. Somerville, MA: Somerset. (850L)
- Detlefsen, Lisl H. (2019). Right This Very Minute: A Table-to-Farm Book about Food and Farming. Illustrated by Renée Kurilla. Washington, DC: Feeding Minds Press. (910L)
- Lovejoy, Sharon. (1999). Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children. Workman Publishing Company. (176 pp.)
- Messner, Kate. (2017). Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt. Illustrated by. San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books. (730L)
- Milway, Katie Smith. (2020). The Good Garden: How One Family Went from Hunger to Having Enough. Illustrated by Sylvie Daigneault. Tonawanda, NY: Kids Can Pres. (820L)
- Paul, Miranda & Baptiste Paul. (2019). I Am a Farmer: Growing an Environmental Movement in Cameroon. Illustrated by Elizabeth Zunon. Minneapolis, MN: Millbrook Press. (810L)
- Schaefer, Carole. (2017). The Children's Garden: Growing Food in the City. Illustrated by Pierr Morgan. Seattle, WA: Little Bigfoot. (910L)
- Schaub, Michelle. (2017). Fresh-Picked Poetry: A Day at the Farmers' Market. Illustrated by Amy Huntington. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.
- Tate, Nikki. (2013). Down to the Earth: How Kids Help Feed the World. Custer, WA: Orca Book Publishers. (1170L)