This poem is from: Bruchac, Joseph. (1995). “The Scattered Stars.” In The Earth Under Sky Bear's Feet: Native American Poems of the Land. New York: Philomel Books. (Cochiti Pueblo Southwest)
- Read the poem aloud. Let the children hear the poem several times.
- Explain to students that they will be reading the poem together. Tell them that choral reading is simply reading in unison under the direction of a leader.
- Assign speaking roles based on interest and capacity and have students highlight their roles.
- Practice and practice some more until the poem can be read with expression.
- Consider audio recording the performance with Voice Recorder (or another app of your choosing) and making it available on iTunes--or you could make a podcast (see how here).